British Association of Snowsports Instructors (BASI):
Professional training and work opportunities
Professional training and work opportunities
The Off-piste & Telemark Ski Company is well-positioned to provide the following opportunities to aspirant Telemark and Nordic instructors and also to those already qualified within the BASI system:
• Aspirants seeking technical training prior to attending the BASI Telemark Instructor Level 1 course or any BASI Nordic course.
• Those qualified at Telemark Instructor Level 1 looking for training prior to their Telemark Instructor Level 2 course.
• Those qualified at BASI Telemark Instructor Level 2 wishing to continue to enhance their skills and experience prior to the Telemark Teacher Level 3 (ISIA) Technical and Teaching modules.
• Those already qualified within BASI in Alpine, Nordic, Snowboard or Adaptive and are thinking of doing Telemark as their Second Discipline for their Level 3 (ISIA) qualification and require training prior to the BASI Telemark Level 1 course (now this is the course for Second Discipline assessment).
• Those needing to do their 70 hours ski school experience as a part of their Telemark Instructor Levels 1 and 2 requirements.
• If you are planning to progress further towards Telemark Teacher Level 3 (ISIA) then you will be able to clock up some more of those required 200 hours of logged teaching time. There are not many other possibilities to gain relevant Telemark work experience out there!
Read more (pdf) about one 'student's eye view' of a BASI Telemark Level 2 course.
For the 2021–2022 season we can recommend a number of appropriate skills courses that will be perfect training in preparation for your chosen course, whether going for Level 1, 2 or 3. One of the best options is the 'Advanced Skills' course at Hintertux in November, right at the start of the season, to get you on the right track with your own ski practice.
Contact us direct with your BASI courses date and/or goals for your skills development and we will be able to recommend the best of our course options for your own improvement and preparation.
"Practice makes permanent" – not necessarily 'perfect'!
"Perfect practice makes perfect"
Quality coaching and focused skills development will give you the knowledge, understanding and performance that will be 'skied in' and lasting, to take away for that 'perfect practice' – and will give you the best chance of success during your BASI course.
For those looking to augment their tally of ski school experience for Telemark or Nordic Instructor then any of the weeks that are in our programme will be suitable. Not only will you simply be there, shadowing, observing and helping out as appropriate but we will give you insight and understanding as to our teaching methods, technical progressions, client care, etc as well as more general ski school administration and management issues. In addition we will include personal performance coaching as time permits outwith our client sessions. Contact us directly for more information
Any of these weeks would also be suitable for those looking for training prior to the Telemark Teacher modules at the end of the season. Early and mid-season coaching interspersed with your own practice time will help to ensure that your practice is good practice and that your technical development remains accurate.
On all these options you will receive excellent coaching and input from a current BASI Telemark trainer and/or BASI Telemark Teacher Level 3 (ISIA). John Eames has been pivotal in BASI Telemark for many years, is currently the Telemark Director on the BASI Board, and is also involved in course development, manual writing and staff training; he has trained and assessed students at BASI levels 1, 2 and 3. He will be an ideal coach for you skills development. We are probably the most experienced and successful coaches/instructors in the country and over the years all candidates whom we have recommended to go on to a BASI training and assessment course have had very successful outcomes. We believe we can do the same for you!
"Thank you again for a really great week in Gressoney. It was fantastic skiing with you both, and the others, and I found both the instruction and shadowing very useful indeed. The (BASI) L2 course has now been confirmed so I feel very well prepared for the 2 weeks in Austria now."
M.J., April, 2011
In addition, we are always looking for qualified Telemark Level 2 Instructors or Level 3 Teachers to work for us whether for the occasional weekend, week or longer. We offer a very good daily rate plus all travel, accommodation and other relevant expenses; we also include staff training and the opportunity to teach clients of all ability levels and backgrounds on free-heel skis. And all this at some rather nice ski venues around the Alps and Scandinavia!
Details about any of the courses and how to book is available on-line via the Trip Details page. For more information about any of the course options and/or conditions and costs for those wishing to observe and/or receive coaching, please contact us direct.
Visit the BASI website for more information about the specifics of any of their courses.